Elements whose last electron enters the p-orbital are called p-block elements. General electronic configuration ns²np¹⁻⁶
12th, Chemistry, Lesson-7
To put it in other words, the elements placed in groups 13 to 18 in the modern periodic table of classification of elements are called p-block elements. Because the last electron of the orbital of each of these elements is filled in the p-subshell.
General Characteristics of the Element
- These elements form covalent compounds.
- The configuration of their outermost shell is from ns²np¹ to ns²np⁶.
- Oxides of p-block elements are usually acidic.
- Some elements show fixed oxidation number, some show variable oxidation number.
- These elements are found in all three states in the form of solid liquid gas.
- These elements include both metals and non-metals, but the number of non-metals is more.
- The number of non-metals is more in the p-block elements.
- There are 6 groups in the p-section of the periodic table.
Main Elements of P Block Elements
- Metal– aluminum (al), gallium (ga), indium (in), thallium (ti), lead (pb), tin (sn), bismuth (Bi)
- non-metal– Carbon (C), Nitrogen (N), Oxygen (O), Phosphorus (P), Sulfur (S), Selenium (Se)
- Halogens- Fluorine (F), Chlorine (Cl), Bromine (Br), Iodine (I)
- metallurgy– Boron (B), Silicon (Si), Germanium (Ge), Arsenic (As), Antimony (Sb), Tellurium (Te), Polonium (Po)
- inert gasesNeon (Ne), Argon (Ar), Krypton (Kr), Xenon (Xe), Radon (Rn)
final conclusionFriends, today I told you through this post that what are the elements of P block and told about its table, if you like this post, then share it with your friends if you want to get information related to studies immediately. are ours telegram channel please join thank you
Read more – Describe the major sources of energy.
Read more – Why is energy conservation necessary?